How Do I Get a Refund for my Certified Mail?
1. Label Refunds: This kind of refund allows you to cancel your Certified Mail Label within 14 days of label creation. For example, if you decide not to mail the Certified Mail Label you created, you could cancel that label and obtain a refund for the USPS Postage. Remember you must cancel the label within 14 days of creation.
- To refund your Certified Mail Label go to the word Reports in the Red Navigation Bar. With your mouse on the Reports button, a white drop-down sub-menu will display. Select Label Reprint / Cancel Label Refund Postage. From this page, you will see a list of all Certified Mail Labels you created. The newest labels will be on top. Locate the one you would like to refund and click on the blue Refund button.
- A pop-up window will be displayed asking you, “Are you sure you want to cancel this label?” Answer Yes, Refund Label.
- Note, it may take up to 20 business days for USPS to refund the money back into your payment account. The reason for this is that USPS needs to make sure that the Certified Mail Label that you created, and are now trying to refund, does NOT get mailed or entered into the Mail stream.
- If that letter did get mailed or scanned by USPS your refund WILL BE DENIED. If your letter shows any USPS tracking scans your refund will be denied.
- Batch Label Refunds: If you have a batch of labels (more than 50) that you need to submit for refund, as a courtesy, we will submit them to USPS for you. To submit your batch for refund, click the red Feedback & Support banner on the right side of this webpage. Submit your request along with your User# and attach the CSV spreadsheet that was included in the zip file with your batch labels (the spreadsheet will have all the PIC/tracking numbers).
2. USPS Refunds: Failure of USPS to Perform Services. The second kind of refund deals with you wanting to get money back from the United States Postal Service because the service was not performed. If the service was not performed you will need to visit your local Post Office to request an investigation or request a refund. Example Certified Mail Restricted Delivery Return Receipt Requested. This would be a refund for services not provided by the U.S. Postal Service.
- If your letter has gone missing and at least 30 days have passed from the date mailed and USPS cannot locate the letter.
- To request a refund for services not rendered from the U.S. Postal Service you will need to get the Revised PS Form 3533, Application for Refund of Fees from your local Post Office. (PS Form 3533). Fill it out and give it back to the Postal Clerk for processing. If the clerk approves your request, you will receive your refunded fees at that time. If they approve the refund and return to Certified Mail Labels, you must submit this request to us within 45 days of mailing. You will need to submit the PS Form 3533 in the Feedback and Support ticket area of our website so we have a copy of the PS Form 3533 approval to be credited into your account. You will be automatically notified by email when your credit is applied.
All refunds submitted must be approved by USPS and then collected by Certified Mail Labels before your account will be credited. USPS will only refund the portion of the service that was not performed. Your system administrator will be notified by email when the Credit is applied back into your account. PS Form 3533 refund requests must be submitted to Certified Mail Labels prior to 45 days of the label transaction date. No refunds are available after 45 days.
Other Certified Mail Refund Questions:
Certified Mail from IRS Refund
Certified Mail Tax Refund